233 123 456 789,+233 123654987
  •  Home
  •     
  • About Us
  •     
  • History of Tweneboah Kodua Senior High School

History of Tweneboah Kodua Senior High School

HISTORY OF TWENEBOA KODUA SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL KUMAWU –ASHANTI

1951 Accelerated Development Plan for Education

This first nationalist government led by Dr. Kwame Nkrumah assumed office in 1951 with promulgation of a new constitution. In August that same year, the Nkrumah government introduced the Accelerated Development Plan for Education. The main objective of this Plan was to help develop a balanced system working towards universal primary education as rapidly as consideration of finances and teacher-training allowed, but maintain at the same time proportionate facilities for further education for those most fitted to receive it.

The implementation of the Plan produced quantitative progress in the development of secondary education in the country. Between 1951 and 1957, the number of approved secondary schools rose from 12 to 38 and by February 1958, there were 10,423 students in secondary schools in Ghana.

Ghana Education Trust

In 1958, the Nkrumah Administration set up the Ghana Education Trust with the object of providing more secondary schools to absorb the large number of pupils who has benefited from the Free Universal Primary Education launched in 1951 and who were unable to secure places in the existing 38 assisted schools in the country. The cocoa Marketing Board provided G2.5 million for the Trust to meet the cost of establishing the first ten secondary schools f which Tweneboa Kodua Secondary school was lucky to be one.

Foundation stone

The Kumawu Traditional Council and the people of Kumawu readily welcome the Trust’s proposal to establish a secondary school in the town. Under the able leadership of Barima Otuo Acheampong, the then Kumawu Omanhene, the Council magnanimously donated a vast stretch of land measuring over 400 acres for the school project.

On August 20, 1959, the foundation stone of the first Secondary School for Kumawu was laid by Hon. Krobo Edusei, Minister of Transport and Communication and Member of Parliament for the area. By the end of the year, most of the buildings has been completed and were ready for use. The name Tweneboa Kodua was chosen by consensus for the school to immortalize the name of Barima Tweneboa Kodua, who had given up his life to enable the Asante nation win its war of liberation against Denkyira during the reign of Otumfuo Osei Tutu I.

Pioneers

The first batch of 45 all-male student was admitted to Tweneboa Kodua Secondary School in January 1960. The school remained a boy’s boarding school until the 1969/70 academic year when it was turned co-educational with the admission of the first group of female students. Ten years later, that is, in September 1979, Sixth Form courses in arts, Science and Business were introduced.

 

 

Headship

From 1960 to date, 13 Headmasters have headed the school. The first Headmaster was Mr. Kwaku Adwedaah. He stayed briefly and was followed by Messrs S.K. Bamfo and Agyepong-Yamoah. Both were from Prempeh College and they edeavoured to develop Tweneboa Kodua secondary School along the lines of Prempeh College. Since then, 10 other Headmaster, including Mr. Allan Charles Cole (Nana Osei Bediako Firaw) and the incumbent, Mr. A.W. Nantwi, who also happens to be an old student, have headed the school.

 

The symbolism of TKSHS Coast of arms (School Crest)

The Coat of Arms (crest) of the school consists of a medieval European shield upon which is drawn symbols identifying the unique and noble institution. The shield is of royal and incorruptible gold (yellow).

Across the centre and outlined in black is an upward pointing chevron of gold (yellow)

Superimposed on its left arm is a representation of Barima Tweneboa Kodua’s Blackened Stool created for his heroic sacrifice for the independence of Asanteman at Feyiase. In the centre of the right arm is the Black Star of Ghana for which all Ghanaians of whatever ethnic group or region are expected to give of their love and service. Upright, in the centre of the shield is the outline of the state sworod (afena), a symbol of chieftaincy. This is the sword called Busumuru with which Barima Tweneboa Kodua swore his loyalty and service to his elders and people on enstoolment and with which his elders and Kumawuman swore loyalty to him.

Forming the background and encompassing all these symbols is a traditional green wreath of ‘bodomowuo’ leaves hung around the neck of royals and around their heads as a sign of deep mourning following the departure of a chief to his ancestors.

At the top and bottom of the shield are two modern symbols. At the bottom is an open book representing the intensive and sacrificial search for knowledge needed if society is to progress.

Across the pot of the shield is a horizontal panel showing the rays of a rising sun piercing the dark night of oppression and ignorance, symbolizing the ultimate victory and reward which make sacrifice worthwhile.

 

Board of Governors

The school has in place of Board of Governors like any other assisted secondary school in the country. The Board is mandated to formulate and implement policies which would ensure the smooth running of the school. Membership of the Board is drawn from the Regional and District Officers of the Ghana Education Service, the Kumawu Traditional Council, the Sekyere Afram Plains District Administration. The Parent Teacher’s Association (PTA), Old Students Association and Staff of the school with the Headmaster as an ex-officio member.

Parent-Teacher Association (PTA)   

The Parent-Teacher Association of the school has been contributing immensely in the provision of vehicles and infrastructure for the school to complement the efforts of the government to make life comfortable for both staff and students and to enhance academic work. The PTC is currently engaged in the construction of three story of 9 flats to help reduce the accommodation problem of the school. To assist in the admission of more fresh students this academic year, the PTA has also put up 2 No. 3-unit classroom for the school.

Apart from contributing to the physical development of the school, the PTA has been instrumental in finding solution to disciplinary and other important problems which have ensured peace and harmony in the school over the years.